with Boise Brewing Black Cliffs American Stout and Caboose Spice & Co. Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Rub
Smoked sea salt, fennel and coriander from Abilene pair with notes of rich chocolate and coffee tones in Black Cliffs to impart a roasty, slightly sweet flavor to our lamb shanks. Don’t forget to save a little beer to drink with your meal!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 4-6 hours
Yield: 2 lamb shanks
1 tablespoon oil
2 lamb shanks
1 onion, sliced
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 bottle Boise Brewing Black Cliffs American Stout (save the rest of the bottle to enjoy with your meal!)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Rub
- Rub each lamb shank with 1/2 teaspoon of oil and season liberally with Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Rub. Massage seasoning and oil into meat, covering every surface.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
- Brown the lamb shanks on every side until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side).
- Set lamb shanks aside. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the skillet.
- Stir in the sliced onions and chopped celery and cook over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the smashed garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until combined with the aromatic vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes more over medium heat.
- While the vegetables cook, mix 1 tablespoon Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Rub with 2 cups of warm water. Pour into crock pot, set crock pot to high, and place lamb shanks in crock pot.
- Pour the Boise Brewing Black Cliffs American Stout into the skillet with the vegetable mixture, scraping all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour warm beer mixture over lamb shanks in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or until lamb shanks are tender.
- Serve with jus over mashed potatoes or vegetables. Sprinkle more Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Rub on the finished dish to taste. Enjoy!